Four Documents You’ll Need to Update After a Divorce

After your divorce is final, you may feel flooded with relief. But don’t go heading off into your new life without first attending to a few crucial post-divorce details: namely, updating official documents to reflect your new status. Here are the top four documents to revise.

Wills and Trusts

These documents might confer ownership of specific property to your ex-spouse after you die. If you no longer wish for them to receive the property, you need to change the document. Update the beneficiaries to the will and ensure the documents reflect your new marital status. You should also reconsider any guardians you’d appointed for your minor children and as managers for the estate. You may no longer want your ex to be an executor.

Titles and Deeds

If your divorce decree has granted you the deed for real estate or title of a vehicle, make the transfer official as soon as possible. Although the divorce decree has conferred these properties to you, if they are currently in your ex’s name or you share title, you will not fully own them until you’ve made these changes. Shared ownership means that you would have to get your ex’s permission if you wanted to sell the property–a situation you probably don’t want to find yourself in.

Pensions or 401K

If the divorce decree splits your pension or retirement account, your attorney will need a QDRO (Qualified Domestic Retirement Order) to begin the transfer process. You should take this action as soon as possible. A QDRO is a court order that instructs the retirement plan administration on how to divide the assets. Once the QDRO is complete, file it with the court. Without this order, you may not be able to divide the assets as agreed. Also, don’t forget to review the beneficiaries on your accounts. If your spouse is listed, you may want to remove them.

Bank Accounts & Credit Cards

If you have any joint accounts bank or credit card accounts that are open, close them down. As well, make sure that your spouse has removed your name from any accounts they may be using, as you could become liable for their debt, despite the divorce. Finally, ensure that your spouse doesn’t have access to, and isn’t a beneficiary of, your online accounts such as PayPal, Stripe, Apple Pay, or E-trade.

If you’re considering a divorce or separation or in the middle of one now, you need skilled legal guidance. At Tenn and Tenn, P.A., our experienced New Hampshire family law attorneys can help guide you through the process and protect your rights. Give us a call at (888) 332-5855 or contact us online today.

Related Posts
  • Five Tips for Your First Thanksgiving as a Split Family Read More
  • Can You Get Divorced but Still Share a House or Another Major Asset in New Hampshire? Read More
  • Four Social Media Mistakes that Can Wreck a Marriage Read More
Why Choose Tenn And Tenn Let Our Family Help Your Family
  • A Family Firm

    We are a family committed to providing excellent service to our clients.

  • Statewide Service
    We work hard to obtain the best results possible for clients throughout New Hampshire.
  • Trial-Tested Attorneys
    Our lawyers are experienced courtroom advocates who are ready to take your case to trial to obtain justice.
Free Injury Consultations Available Contact Us Today

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our award-winning legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (888) 332-5855.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Please do not include any confidential or sensitive information in a contact form, text message, or voicemail. The contact form sends information by non-encrypted email, which is not secure. Submitting a contact form, sending a text message, making a phone call, or leaving a voicemail does not create an attorney-client relationship.