When One Parent Wants to Move From New Hampshire

When you and your ex-spouse divorced years ago, you had to create a parenting plan to deal with the details of raising your children together but as separate people. The parenting plan detailed the rights and responsibilities of each parent and addressed things such as:

  • Which parent had decision-making and residential responsibility;
  • The legal address for the children attending school;
  • A custody schedule that included holidays, weekends, birthdays, and vacations;
  • A protocol for exchanging the children from one parent to the other;
  • A procedure for reviewing and adjusting the plan; and
  • A method for resolving future disputes.

The parenting plan you created with your ex included joint decision-making responsibility as well as joint-custody and it has worked well over the years for you, your ex, and the children. But now you have been offered a lucrative job in sunny Florida, and the temptation to leave snowy, cold New Hampshire is very tempting. What can you do? The first step you should take is to contact the experienced child custody attorneys at Tenn And Tenn, P.A. so we can assist you through the relocation legal process.

The New Hampshire Relocating Parent

If a parent who has joint-custody with the former spouse wants to relocate to an address that is outside the child’s current legal address of where they attend school, the relocating parent must file with New Hampshire courts a written notice of relocation at least 60 days before the intended move. The other parent can oppose the relocation and ask the court to schedule a relocation hearing to adjust custody.

The relocating parent has to prove to the court that they are relocating for a legitimate purpose (such as a job). Once that has been proven, then the non-relocating parent has to prove that the move is not in the best interests of the children. In New Hampshire, what is in the best interests of the child is taken very seriously. The judge will consider factors such as:

  • The child’s relationship with both parents;
  • What the impact of moving would mean to the child;
  • Frequency and quality of contact with the non-moving parent;
  • If the move will benefit the child academically, emotionally, or financially;
  • Will the child be able to maintain visits with the other parent; and
  • What the impact of moving would mean to the child’s relationship with extended family.

Based on these and other factors, a judge will make a decision on whether or not the custody arrangement can be modified to allow you to move. Even if you and your ex-spouse agree to a new custody agreement that suits both of you, if the judge does not think it meets the best interests of your children, it will be denied.

New Hampshire Custody Attorneys at Tenn And Tenn, P.A.

This is why you need the experienced custody attorneys at Tenn And Tenn, P.A. We will work with you to help you make the best case to support your relocation request. Call us today at (888) 332-5855 or fill out a contact form to learn how we can help you.

Related Posts
  • Three Things to Do with Kids in New Hampshire During Spring Read More
  • Will your DWI Arrest Mean You Lose Custody of Your Children? Read More
  • Four Back-to-School Parenting Tips for Newly Divorced Couples Read More
Why Choose Tenn And Tenn Let Our Family Help Your Family
  • A Family Firm

    We are a family committed to providing excellent service to our clients.

  • Statewide Service
    We work hard to obtain the best results possible for clients throughout New Hampshire.
  • Trial-Tested Attorneys
    Our lawyers are experienced courtroom advocates who are ready to take your case to trial to obtain justice.
Free Injury Consultations Available Contact Us Today

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our award-winning legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (888) 332-5855.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Please do not include any confidential or sensitive information in a contact form, text message, or voicemail. The contact form sends information by non-encrypted email, which is not secure. Submitting a contact form, sending a text message, making a phone call, or leaving a voicemail does not create an attorney-client relationship.