Police Officer Charged in Deadly Drunk Driving Crash

According to reports, police say that a Londonderry police officer of Amherst, New Hampshire, was charged in an alleged drunken driving crash that killed a Manchester woman late Friday night. The officer, identified as Tyler Berry, was charged Friday night for a crash that led to the death of the other driver, 21-year-old Sierra Croteau of Manchester, police said. Police arrested the man and charged him with felony aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol.

The auto accident attorneys at Tenn And Tenn, P.A. provide information about wrongful death claims in the event that you lose a loved one in an accident.

What is a Wrongful Death Claim?

wrongful death claim is a civil lawsuit filed against a negligent driver who causes a deadly accident. These claims are typically filed by surviving spouses, parents, children, or other family members of an individual who is tragically killed in an auto accident.

Wrongful death claims are different from criminal charges. Criminal charges are brought against a driver by the police following an accident that involved the commission of a crime, such as driving under the influence or reckless driving.

A wrongful death claim allows surviving family members to recover financial compensation for the loss of their loved one. A multitude of factors are used to calculate the compensation award, and each award varies from claim to claim. Family members may recover for the mental and physical pain suffered by the deceased in the accident. Reimbursement for the reasonable expenses incurred by surviving family members is also available in New Hampshire. Reasonable expenses typically include:

  • medical bills,
  • legal fees, and
  • funeral expenses.

Family members are also eligible for compensation for the probable duration of the deceased’s life if the accident had not occurred and the capacity to earn money during the deceased party’s probable working life.

Surviving spouses, parents, and minor children may recover additional damages by filing a wrongful death claim. If a surviving spouse files a wrongful death claim, they may be eligible for compensation for:

  • the loss of comfort,
  • the loss of society, and
  • the loss of companionship of their deceased spouse, limited to $150,000.

Parents who lose a minor child in an accident may recover for the loss of a familial relationship with the child. Minor children who lose a parent may also recover the same. These damages are limited to $50,000 per individual claimant.

In most cases, a wrongful death claim must be filed within six years of the date of the loss of a loved one.

Contact New Hampshire Auto Accident Attorneys

If you’ve lost a loved one in an auto accident caused by a negligent driver in New Hampshire, you can turn to the wrongful death attorneys at Tenn And Tenn, P.A. for help. We understand that this is a difficult time and invite you to call us at (888) 332-5855 for a free consultation. We will help you understand your rights and options regarding filing a wrongful death claim so that you get the compensation that you and your family deserve.

Related Posts
  • Black Ice Accidents on New Hampshire Roads Read More
  • Do DUIs Spike in New Hampshire During the Holidays? Read More
  • The “Drive High Get a DUI” Campaign in New Hampshire Read More
Why Choose Tenn And Tenn Let Our Family Help Your Family
  • A Family Firm

    We are a family committed to providing excellent service to our clients.

  • Statewide Service
    We work hard to obtain the best results possible for clients throughout New Hampshire.
  • Trial-Tested Attorneys
    Our lawyers are experienced courtroom advocates who are ready to take your case to trial to obtain justice.
Free Injury Consultations Available Contact Us Today

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our award-winning legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (888) 332-5855.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Please do not include any confidential or sensitive information in a contact form, text message, or voicemail. The contact form sends information by non-encrypted email, which is not secure. Submitting a contact form, sending a text message, making a phone call, or leaving a voicemail does not create an attorney-client relationship.