A jury awarded $9 million Friday to a Hampton couple who sued after the wife was hit by a car while walking along Ocean Boulevard, and the state of New Hampshire will have pay part of the total.
Karen Weinhold was awarded $8.5 million for her pain and suffering, and her husband will receive $500,000. The jury found that three parties were responsible for the injuries she suffered. Weinhold and her friend, Lisa Beaudry, were struck and severely injured as they walked along Ocean Boulevard in Hampton early one June morning in 2014. Beaudry settled out of court in December.
Remi Gross-Santos, now 21, was driving the car that hit the women. The jury decided that he should have to pay $2.7 million.
Pedestrian traffic had been moved from the east to the west side of Ocean Boulevard at the time. The jury decided that Audley Construction, which was doing work on the seawall that led to the traffic change, should also pay $2.7 million.
The 40 percent remaining, $3.6 million, should be paid by the state of New Hampshire, the jury found.
Attorneys for the Weinholds said that decisions by all three parties led to the accident.
“The decision-making by Audley Construction to move the Weinholds from a protected place around the construction area to an unprotected area, the decision by the state of New Hampshire to concur and approve of that change, as contrasted with Remi Gross-Santos’s negligence, which was falling asleep at the wheel,” attorney Vin Wenners said.
Weinhold testified that she suffered a complex leg fracture and spinal injuries in the crash. She said her neck was so damaged that even a fall could be catastrophic for her. She testified that her medical bills have surpassed $880,000.
It’s unclear whether any of the parties will appeal.
Hyperlink to new story: