State Supreme Court to Reconsider Counsel for Indigent Parents

The New Hampshire Supreme Court may soon hear arguments concerning whether or not to provide legal counsel to poor parents who face civil family law cases, particularly those that involve parental rights and responsibilities, abuse, and neglect issues, according to a recent article in the Boston Globe. New Hampshire and Mississippi are currently the only states that do not provide a parent an attorney in these cases if the parent cannot afford one.

Until recently, New Hampshire did provide attorneys for indigent parents facing certain family law battles involving children. However, funding for this program was cut in the previous legislative session, leaving many parents without representation just when they may need it most – when their relationship with their children is at stake.

Because the stakes in a child abuse and neglect case are so high, New Hampshire Legal Assistance recently filed suit, seeking to get the program reinstated so that parents will still have access to the help of an attorney. Opponents, however, say that creating a right to counsel in civil cases will create a “slippery slope” that will cost the state a great deal of money.

At issue are civil cases in which the state seeks to end a parent’s responsibilities due to allegations of child abuse or neglect. Parents who are accused of criminal abuse or neglect still have a right to counsel under the state and federal Constitutions.

Child custody can be one of the most complicated and heart-wrenching issues in any divorce. If you’re facing a custody dispute, you need a compassionate and knowledgeable New Hampshire parental rights attorney on your side who will fight for your best interests and those of your children. At Tenn And Tenn, P.A., we have the experience and the dedication to help you through these difficult issues. Call us today at (888) 332-5855 for a free, confidential telephone consultation.

Related Posts
  • Five Tips for Your First Thanksgiving as a Split Family Read More
  • Can You Be Arrested for Your Child or Spouse’s Crime? Read More
  • Can You Get Divorced but Still Share a House or Another Major Asset in New Hampshire? Read More
Why Choose Tenn And Tenn Let Our Family Help Your Family
  • A Family Firm

    We are a family committed to providing excellent service to our clients.

  • Statewide Service
    We work hard to obtain the best results possible for clients throughout New Hampshire.
  • Trial-Tested Attorneys
    Our lawyers are experienced courtroom advocates who are ready to take your case to trial to obtain justice.
Free Injury Consultations Available Contact Us Today

Whether you have questions or you’re ready to get started, our award-winning legal team is ready to help. Complete our form below or call us at (888) 332-5855.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy

Please do not include any confidential or sensitive information in a contact form, text message, or voicemail. The contact form sends information by non-encrypted email, which is not secure. Submitting a contact form, sending a text message, making a phone call, or leaving a voicemail does not create an attorney-client relationship.